Job seeker services
Working in Australia
To work in Australia as an international candidate, you need a permit. This permit may be obtained through citizenship, residence, or a work visa. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa.
If you are not sure which visa you should apply for, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship may be able to help. They have created an application called Visa Wizard. This tool can determine which visa is suitable for your specific circumstances.
Additionally, there are many visa and immigration agents in Australia who will be able to assist you. You can find them via Google Search, or by using the Yellow Pages. Two sites that you may find useful are NationalVisas and Migration Expert.
If you already have a valid work permit, click the button below to check out our current vacancies. Feel free to apply any that are of interest.
Types of visas
- 1Working holiday visa
- 2Holders of this visa can work in a job with each employer for up to six months. This is for applicants aged 18 to 30 from countries that have a reciprocal arrangement with Australia. For an up to date list of all eligible countries, see the links listed above. The working holiday visa enables holders to stay in Australia for up to 12 months.
- 2Skilled visa
- 3Workers with skills that are essential to Australia are able to apply for the skilled visa. Note, there may be registration or licencing requirements. It is best to contact the relevant State authorities for your trade or practice for further information.
- 3Short-stay business visa
- 4The short-stay business visa allows business people to visit Australia for up to three months to conduct negotiations, attend conferences or find business opportunities. A provisional business visa can be obtained for up to four years. If you wish to stay longer, it may be possible to obtain a business skills residence visa. To keep this visa, business people need to achieve the required level of business or maintain investment(s) in Australia.
- 4Student visa
- 5Students can study and live in Australia with a student visa. In some circumstances, you may also be eligible to work if certain conditions are met. Again, search the type of study you are interested in and the school, university, registered training organisation or course provider. Any of Australia’s tertiary institutions should be able to assist you with information about enrolment and visas.
- 5Business migration program
- 6This program is designed to give business people a trial, before they decide if they'd like to settle in Australia. Investors, owners, senior executives and business talent sponsored by the government can apply.
We recommend that you do not start applying for positions until you have assessed your chances of securing a work permit and the length of time it will take. This will save you not only time but ensure you do not put in a lot of effort for little or no return.
Receive job hunting tips & advice