SMYL Community College, a curriculum and re-engagement in education (CARE) school, invites applications to join its student support services team to commence straight away.
The Aboriginal Support Officer works within the Student Support Services team of psychologists and youth workers to assist each student, particularly Aboriginal students, to identify and achieve their career goals and objectives.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Provide cultural information to the school community to help to better understand Aboriginal students.
- Promote cultural awareness training for Teachers and other School support staff.
- Provide context information to Teachers regarding student absences and behaviour, such as events at home or in the Aboriginal community.
- Promote and organise cross-cultural activities in the School and school community.
- Actively contribute at staff meetings to enhance perceptions and understanding of the needs of Aboriginal students.
- Support Aboriginal students to engage with learning and manage student behaviour.
- Communicate with parents about student attendance and performance, including positive news stories.
- Contribute to making the school a welcoming place to attend and visit.
- Work collaboratively with Teachers and other support staff to make a significant difference to the engagement, attendance, achievement and retention of young Aboriginal people.
It is desirable but not essential that applicants have attained accredited teaching, training, mentoring or related qualification.
A current Working with Children Check is essential.
Expressions of interest should be submitted to Human Resources at:
By mail: 56 Marine Terrace, Fremantle WA 6160
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org